- This chicken salad is an excellent way to use grilled or cooked chicken.
- It’s perfect for lunches or a casual summertime dinner when you don’t want to cook and/or heat up the house.
- A+ stands for “avocados plus …” other yummy healthy foods like nuts, fresh celery and grapes, etc.
- 1 lb cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 2 avocados
- 4 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, small dice
- 1/2 – 1 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (or big handfuls) red seedless grapes, halved
- juice from one lemon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pit avocados and spoon out the flesh into a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and garlic powder to the avocados and mash to your preferred mushiness.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mashed avocado mix and combine thoroughly.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Note: Please be aware that some of these suggestions will change the nutritional aspects of the recipe. For example, adding tortilla chips will increase carbs and make the meal non-paleo.
Serving A+ Chicken Salad
- A heaping spoonful on top of a tossed salad with vinaigrette or honey mustard dressing.
- As a dip (with very sturdy chips).
- In a tortilla/pita (maybe with some cheese).
- Avocadoes – 1/4 cup of mayonnaise per avocado.
- Nuts – Use any nuts you like, sunflower seeds, wasabi peas, or omit them completely.
- Celery – We don’t always have celery at home, so I like to sub 1/2 cup chopped cucumber or sweet red pepper.
- Red Onion – Green onions (scallions), yellow or white onions. Note that yellow and white onions may have a stronger flavor.
- Lemon Juice – Lime juice, apple cider vinegar, or balsamic vinegar. Note that balsamic vinegar will turn the chicken salad a weird brown color.
- Cheese – feta, crumbled blue or gorgonzola, finely shredded parmesan will all work well.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: No cook
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 311
- Fat: 18.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.2 g
- Protein: 23.3 g
Keywords: gluten-free, no-cook, diabetic-friendly, paleo, Whole30